WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, New Zealand Guest of Honour 2012 supports the translation of New Zealand Literature into German with a Translation Grant Scheme that is administered by the Publishers Association of New Zealand. These grants can contribute up to 50% of the translation costs to a maximum of NZ$5000 per title. You can download an application form online at any time.
We aim to consider applications and have results to you within 3 weeks of the given deadline.
- Any established German publisher purchasing foreign language rights who has an active backlist of no less than four titles.
- Sales and translation contracts must be completed and signed at time of application.
- The translation must be prior to printing stage at time of application.
- All genres will be considered.
- NB: projects will be assessed on their quality, potential audience and their contribution to the development of New Zealand publishing.
- fully completed application form
- a signed licence agreement
- a signed translator’s contract
- a copy of the translator’s CV
- a publisher profile
- up to one page outlining marketing and publicity plans for the title
Applications will be considered when they are received and we aim to have decisions advised within three weeks. Grant decisions are made by a six-person assessment panel made up of representatives from Creative New Zealand, the Publishers Association of New Zealand, the New Zealand Book Council and the New Zealand Centre for Literary Translation. Decisions are advised by email and successful applicants are required to sign a letter of agreement.
Applications are open to everybody who meets the eligibility criteria. In deciding on grants, particular weighting may be given to applications which offer larger potential readerships due to:
- potential audience in the territory
- publisher size and or reputation
- publisher marketing investment
- for literary applications Creative New Zealand strategic objectives will apply
Grant payment is made on receipt of five print copies of the translated edition, complete with While You Were Sleeping, New Zealand Guest of Honour logo/credit placement on the copyright page of the book, and submission of an invoice.
Successful applicants will be required to provide follow-up information on the number of copies sold, as well as any comments on their involvement with the scheme.
For further information or to enquire about submitted applications please contact:
Publishers Association of New Zealand
PO Box 102 006,